Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lupus Update

Good news: I got approved for Rituxan! I am so happy. I am hoping that Rituxan works for me. Rituxan is a biological that is administered via IV infusion. I'm okay with needles, but I hate getting IV. I'm scared of IV needles. My veins are very small and whenever the nurses try to start an IV, it takes forever. It hurts. Sometimes they even burst my vein. Then they start poking around another vein and moving the IV needle around to see if they can hit a vein. The nurses told me that my veins like to run. My brother is taking me to get my first Rituxan infusion tomorrow morning at 8am. 

What is Rituxan? Rituxan is a very unique biological in that the treatment cycle is every four-six months. Rituxan targets B-cells. Rituxan works by targeting the CD20 antigen on normal and malignant B-cells. Then the body’s natural immune defenses are recruited to attack and kill the marked B-cells. Stem cells (young cells in the bone marrow that will develop into the various types of cells) do not have the CD20 antigen. This allows healthy B-cells to regenerate after treatment. Rituxan is given intravenous over 4-5 hours. The time may be longer depending on whether or not you have received Rituxan in the past, or how well you tolerate Rituxan. 

Rituxan may take up to 3 months before I start to feel the effects. This anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody would appear to be a rational choice for use when conventional therapy is unsuccessful because it depletes the B-cells that are responsible for the production of pathogenic lupus-associated autoantibodies, cytokines, and chemokines.

Some people who received Rituxan developed progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML; a rare infection of the brain that cannot be treated, prevented, or cured and that usually causes death or severe disability) during or after their treatment. This is a very small chance. What do I have to lose?

At first when I researched about Rituxan, I got really scared when I read about all the neurological side effects. However, it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I was nervous and didn’t know if it would work. So I went on my twitter account and asked my lupus/rheum community if Rituxan work. It does. They help calm my nerves and anxiety about Rituxan. They shared their stories with me about their experiences. This gives me HOPE that it works for me. Getting approved for Rituxan couldn’t come at a better time.

Prednisone is really not working for me. My rashes are spreading. They are all over my face and chest. Every other day I would get a fever of 101-103. Meaning that I have an infection that my body is trying to fight. I have really bad migraines. I've been having chest pain, tightness, and pressure. It makes me have shortness of breath. As a result, my voice has changed pitch. I am so tired all the time. I have no energy. I get very winded when I go to the mall, grocery store, or doing anything. I usually want to go home fast. One of my pet peeve is people walking slow. I use to walk really fast. However, I now walk slow cause I am tired and my balance is off.  I still need to take a shower sitting on a chair. My hair is thinner-they fall out in strands not clumps. I am supposed to be gaining weight, but I haven't gain any. Since being home I have lost more weight. I weigh myself today and I am at 103lbs. How did I lose so much weight. Food is still an issue. I am back on my diet of soups, fruits, and salads. I still can't eat any type of meat at all. Sometimes I just eat plain rice by itself. I don't enjoy my food. I just eat it to function. My stomach is not use to having a lot of food in it. When my parents force me to eat too much my stomach would hurt the whole day and night. It's very uncomfortable. 

Last Saturday I put on a lot of makeup to cover my rashes so I may go to the Simon Norton Museum with my brother. However we did not go because I felt lightheaded and my heart started to hurt. So I took a two-hour nap instead. When I woke up I noticed that I had night sweats while I was sleeping. Hopefully this doesn't happen again when we try to go this Saturday. 

I had a little scare today. I decided to take a shower. It wasn't a good idea. I wanted to take a shower so that I can feel clean. I still sit on a chair to take a shower. While I was in the shower my heart started to hurt, I couldn’t breathe, I felt lightheaded and knew I was going to faint. I felt like throwing up too. I only shampooed my hair really fast. Then I wrapped my body and hair in towels and got out of the shower. I was so weak that I had to sit on the tile floor. I still felt like fainting so I wiped my body really fast. I then put on my clothes while sitting. I then opened the door and walk to the bed to sit down. No body was at home. When my mom came home from work I told her what happened and she banded me from taking a shower when no one is home. She is afraid that something serious could have happened to me. As you can see I am still very weak. My mom is probably going to wash my hair from now on. I’ve learned my lesson.

Wish me luck on my Rituxan infusion tomorrow! Hopefully I start to feel better in no time. 

xoxo,
Kat

3 comments:

  1. Since you wrote this last night I'm assuming you had your first round of treatment today. I hope it went well! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this works well for you, it was a wonder drug for me in a clinical trial and I went into an almost five year near remission of my lupus CNS and liver involvement. Now I am on Benlysta infusions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jocelyn! My infusion went well that Wednesday! However when I saw my doctor on Friday, March 22nd I was readmitted to the hospital for another 12 days. I went through chemo, and a lot was going on. Will update you soon.

    Hey Lupusadventurebetweenthelines! My doctor can't tell if my liver enzymes and liver inflammation were due to my lupus acting up or if it was a reaction to the Rituxan. We haven't cross Rituxan of the list yet. That's so amazing that you went into an almost 5 year remission with Rituxan. My doctor and I have been talking about Benlysta infusions; she thinks that I could benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete