Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Shrinking Violet

Is it possible to shrink at 24? I didn't think so. My sisters and brother have either all grew or I have dramatically shrunk. My twin is even taller than me! We use to be the same height. I have shrunk vertically and horizontally! How is this even possible? I am now the next smallest in my family besides my mom. I always knew that as we get older, we get shorter. But what many people don't realize is that height is just one thing that shrinks with age: our hearts, facial bones and sex organs all shrink, too.

Most of us lose at least one-third of an inch in height every decade after the age of 40. By 80, most men will be 2 inches shorter than they were in their prime, and women as much as 3.15 inches shorter. Women shrink more than men because levels of the female hormone oestrogen-which helps protect bone health in men and women-fall rapidly at menopause. Men also tend to have more muscle, which supports their frame.

As well as the bones shrinking, height loss is also caused by the flattening of the discs that sit between the bones of the spine. The 23 jelly-like discs, which act as the spine's shock absorbers, are made up of around 88% water. It is normal for them to become compressed during the day as we stand and move around, which squeezes out the fluid. Then at night, when we lay down, the discs reabsorb fluid and plump up again-which explains why we shrink by as much as half an inch during the day, only to regain the height overnight. As we aged, the discs flatten slightly, permanently reducing our height.

I've become a shrinking violet! In my case I think I have shrunk due to all of the medication that I need to take. One of the side effects of the medications that I take is bone loss. This explains my rapid height shrinkage. I am not even slouching and you can tell there is a height difference between Jenny and I. How I wish I could grow a few inches taller.

As to horizontally shrinking, I have lost an additional 9 pounds from last time. I have lost a total of 24 pounds. I am proud of myself for finally losing the prednisone weight gain. For a while there I didn't know if I would be able to lose the weight. It just didn't seem to be coming off. It took me over a year and a half to lose the weight. When I went off the prednisone I started to eat healthy, changed my sleeping habit, exercised more, and portion control. I cut down on sugary foods, and sweets. I rarely drink soda. You don't need to finish everything off of your plate. Stop eating when you feel full. I was very happy when the weight kept coming off.

 It was horrifying when I kept on gaining weight with the medication. I didn't like looking at myself because I knew the girl I was looking at was not the real me. It was pretty devastating when I couldn't fit any of my pants. I kept all of my designer jeans and put it aside because I knew one day I would wear them again.

At first when I started to lose the pounds that I gained, I couldn't see any difference with my body. But as the months went by, the clothes I wore started to hang from my body. My face has become more define since there is no water retention to create the "moon face." I finally look like myself again. My butt, boobs, stomach, arms, and legs have all become smaller. What sucks about losing the weight is that my boobs are gone. It would be nice if they could have stayed. Ehh...you win some, and lose some.

The other day when I was cleaning my clothes, I decided to try on all of my pants. They fit. I cried. I am finally able to wear my clothes again! I actually look good in my clothes and I don't look like I bought a size too small. I am finally able to fit into my Marc Jacobs' shorts! Yes, it is a size zero.  Cheers to losing and keeping the weight off!

xoxo,
Kat

2 comments:

  1. Cheers Cuzzie!! You are a strong, intelligent, and beautiful woman,inside and out. I know what you mean by not feeling like you look the way should look, or the best you possible, especially when aspects of your health are outside your control. When I had TMJ and I had crazy structural mouth issues. I had to wear all this crap in my mouth for 8 years. Do you remember? I was obsessed with looking at myself in the mirror and hated what I saw at the same time. My TMJ is not nearly comparable to what you deal with health-wise on a regular basis but I understand how you feel. The braces and monstrous splint are gone, my jaw doesn't click as much, and I don't have migranes any more, but I'll always struggle immensely with my appearance. It's engrained in me now. All we can try to do is be the best person we can be inside and out, every day, and that's more beautiful than having it easy and taking it for granted. Anyway sorry for the long response but this post really resonated with me. Love you cuz and hope I see you during Xmas when I come home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Thanks Julie for all of your kind words! I think that every woman struggles with her appearance due to our country's perception of beauty. But I am finally happy with the way I look. I look like myself again. It's funny that you mention TMJ because Dr. Le, my dentist that I stop going to, kept on insisting that I have TMJ. She tried to put me on TMJ treatment, but I stopped going to her because I think she is just trying to scam my insurance for money. Yes I do have really bad migraines and clicking jaw, but I can't tell if the migraines are from TMJ or from my autoimmune disease. Love you too and I can't wait to see you guys at Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete