Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cooking Lessons

My mom is a wonderful cook. She makes her own chicken stock, beef stock, and etc. She makes all of her broth from scratch. She doesn't cut any corners. It tastes better even if it requires more work. My fondest memories are of my mom cooking. I always wanted to be able to cook like her.

I have been spoiled by my mother's cooking. I learned to cook by watching her in the kitchen. She doesn't use any exact measuring when she cooks. She eyeballs her measurement, adding more or less of the ingredients depending on the taste. It has become my philosophy too. My mom only has written recipes for some of her food. Everything else is by memory.

I only have written recipes for dessert. The rest I just memorize by heart. I love cooking. Last time I tried to cook curry, but it did not turn out right. My mom is going to give me cooking lessons about curry. The curry that my mom cooks is similar to Thai curry, but different. My mom's curry is eaten with the french baguette, not rice. The curry is not thick like some other curries from around the world. I like to cook all types of food not just vietnamese. I often make up my own recipes, vinaigrette, and salads. It's fun and relaxing.

The picture below is of Mi Xao. Mi means noodles and xao means fried. Mi Xao is a stir fry noodle. You guessed it! I learned how to cook it from my mom. It is a popular street food, served on the crowded streets of Vietnam. Each street vendor has his or her own special recipe; sometimes the noodles are fried to a crisp or soft and slippery, some vendors use pork, beef or something else, whilst others are scorching spicy hot vs. mildly spicy. But you don’t have to go all the way to Vietname to get your fill of this addictive dish. Do it yourself. It is pretty simple. You just need to prep everything before hand.



This is Mi Xao done in two different noodles. The first is a clear noodle and the second picture is egg noodles. Mi Xao is almost like the Chinese's chao mian, expect it is less greasy and oily. I usually add a little soy sauce before I eat it.

xoxo,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment