Sunday, April 15, 2012

Donut Connoisseurs


There seems to be a new dessert fad every season. A few seasons ago it was cupcakes. People were raving about Sprinkles, DC cupcakes, etc. Then it became macaroons. The new dessert fad in Southern California is Blueberry donuts. When I was still in Berkeley, my brother would tell me that I have to try the blueberry donuts when I come home. I was game. Blueberries are one of my favorite fruit.

Around where I lived there are two donut shops that sell blueberry donuts: The Donuttery in Huntington Beach and M&M Donuts in Anaheim. The blueberry donuts from M&M were way too greasy. I held up my donut and all you see is grease. I think they over fried the donuts. I thought the blueberry donuts were alright.

A few months ago, I lost more weight and my brother and I decided to buy donuts. I just monitor my eating habits, but I still eat everything that I want. We went to The Donuttery. The Donuttery is a local donut shop offering a large variety of classic and signature donuts, pastries, bagels, and deli sandwiches. They bake fresh daily. Very first impression is that it's a quaint little donut shop. The customer service was excellent. The lady that helped us was very friendly. She asked if we wanted to wait half an hour for the new batch of strawberry donuts since they only have the old ones. My brother and I waited. We ordered a dozen donuts: 4 blueberry, 4 red velvet, and 4 strawberry donuts.

The donuts were delicious. I LOVED the Blueberry donuts. They were not greasy like the ones from M&M. These blueberry donuts have become my favorite at The Donuttery. The red velvet comes in at a close second. Any red velvet lovers out there? You have to try their Red velvet donut.
Red velvet has made its mark in cake recipes with traditional ingredients like buttermilk, flour, and cocoa. By refining traditional ingredients, they managed to achieve a recipe suitable for our doughnut palette.

At The Donuttery, a donut is not plainly transparent, but imbued with subtle elements of time and collaboration by devoted culinary artists and customer feedback dedicated to sculpting the perfect recipe. They aspire to depart from the monotony often associated with the conventional doughnut shop. Just as life is colorful and dynamic--so should a doughnut.


xoxo,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment