Sunday, June 17, 2012

Calm Before The Storm

Lately I have been occupied with doctor visits, blood tests, changing medications and labs. This is why I have been m.i.a. It's funny how soon people forget that you have an autoimmune disease when you don't look sick. I certainly don't look sick.

My blood pressure has been very high these pass few months. My Rheumy is very concern because this may be an indication that I have kidney disease. Besides having hypertension I also have protienuria (protein leakage in the urine), indicating kidney damage. I was put on amlodipine to control my blood pressure.

My rheumatologist also referred me to an nephrologist, who specializes in kidney diseases. The nephrologist, Dr. Wechsler explain what lupus nephritis is and what type of medications he wants to put me on to control my blood pressure. I had a renal ultrasound to see the size of my kidneys and how healthy they are. So far they look pretty healthy.

Two weekends ago my cousin asked me to go shopping for house stuff with her. I told her I had to get blood tests done first. When she picked me up she asked what's wrong and I told her that I might have early stages of kidney failure. She was shocked. She asked me if I was scared. I am not scared because I know what to expect. My cousin told me that she didn't know lupus did that. I told her that lupus is an AUTOIMMUNE disease, meaning it affects all of my organs, skin, and bones. It's frustrating having to explain what autoimmune disease means and seeing the blank look in peoples' eyes.

What people don't realize is that I get a routine blood test done every month or so. This time they took 13 tubes of blood other times they take 6 or 7 tubes. I'm use to it. Unless you are in my shoes you won't really comprehend what I go through, even my twin don't understand. Before I was diagnosed, my twin was very mean to me, saying "she is just faking, quit complaining, you're exaggerating, etc." My own family thought I was faking my symptoms. I have a very low expectation of people understanding what  lupus is.

Dr. Wechsler told me in advance that I will eventually have to have a kidney biopsy to see how far the disease has progress. I am not worried at all. I am calm and I am at peace. It took me a long time to get to this point, four years actually. I know what to expect, the outcome, and the treatment. There is no reason why I should be scared or worried. Dr. Wechsler asked me, "Do you ever think about going into medicine since you have done research on all these health issues?" I answered, "No."

I am not taking amlodipine anymore. I am taking Losartan instead. It helps control my blood pressure and it also protects my kidneys from damage. The first day I took Losartan, I felt drunk with out even drinking. On the label of the pills it says may cause dizziness. What an understatement. I really hope that I stop feeling dizzy every time I take this medication.  Hopefully this side effects stops in a few weeks.

Last Tuesday, I felt out of sorts. My heart was beating irratically the whole day. I didn't think much of it. I went to bed and woke at 3 am to use the bathroom. I felt like my body was shutting down while I was in the bathroom.  I was trying to open my mom's door when my legs gave away. I collapsed onto her floors with a loud bang. My body was shaking, my face a pea-green color, and my erratic heart going a hundred miles per hour. It made me realize that my low white blood cell count may be the reason for my collapse. I actually am taking prednisone (the dreaded steroids) for a month to see if my WBC increases. The risk of having low WBC is infection and getting sick. I've been sick for a few days now. Nyquil has been my best friend.

xoxo,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment